Human Services


Athabasca University

The Bachelor of Professional Arts (Human Services) degree responds to the career and professional needs of career practitioners in the human services fields of early childhood education, child and youth care, rehabilitation services, and other closely related fields such as teacher assistants and counsellors.

This four-year, 120-credit degree is available if you have completed an Athabasca University approved two-year human services related diploma from Medicine Hat College, or another recognized post-secondary institution. Typically, the diploma counts as the first 60 credits or half of the degree.

Athabasca University has approved the following Medicine Hat College diplomas for transfer to this degree:

  • Addictions Counselling
  • Child and Youth Care Counsellor
  • Criminal Justice
  • Early Learning and Child Care
  • Social Work
  • Occupational Therapist Assistant/Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Speech Language Pathologist Assistant

NOTE: Students must complete a minimum of ten (10) courses through Athabasca University to fulfill the residency requirement. Students complete this degree by taking a combination of Medicine Hat College and Athabasca University courses.

We encourage students to consult with a Medicine Hat College Academic Advisor regarding admission requirements and course selections. It is important that students make correct course choices as part of your degree.

Please see the program calendar or consult with an academic advisor for an up-to-date set of courses related to Human Services.

You may find employment as:

     Aboriginal Community Worker   Developmental Services Worker  Mental Health Worker 
     Addictions Counsellor  Disability Advisor  Native Counsellor
     Advocate for the Abused  Early Childhood Educator  Northern Human Services Counsellor
     Career Development Counsellor  Family Day Home Provider  Recreation Technologist
     Child Advocate  Gerontology Specialist  Rehabilitation Case Worker
     Child Care Worker  Group Home Worker  Residential Program Provider
     Community Organizer  Halfway House Counsellor  Social Service Worker
     Community Outreach Worker  Home Support Worker  Special Needs Consultant
     Community Wellness Program Coordinator  Home Support Worker  Teacher Assistant
     Corrections Worker  Juvenile Court Liaison  Youth Worker
     Crisis Intervention Counsellor  Life Skills Instructor  

    What is your education going to cost?

    Our TUITION and FEES page provides a total cost estimate for your program including books and supplies and related expenses.

    Looking for ways to help fund your education?

    There are lots of options like student loans, scholarships, bursaries and emergency funding available.
    Check out our FINANCIAL AID page for more information.

    Many programs offered at Medicine Hat College qualify for transfer credits to other institutions. In some cases, you must transfer to another institution to complete your program and gain your credential.

    The ACADEMIC CALENDAR has official information on transfer options for each program.
    Please consult the calendar or meet with an academic advisor for more information.

    At MHC, we care about students and want to help you succeed.

    As a student, there may be times when you require support. Our SERVICES page provides you with links to a number of campus supports including academic success, counselling and care, health and wellness, and many other resources.

    Have you always wanted to study abroad?

    Enhance your education, share in cultural diversity and embrace new experiences. Visit the INTERNATIONAL MOBILITY PROGRAM section to find out more.