Your one-stop shop for school supplies, college gear, gifts & more!
The Medicine Hat College Bookstore has everything you need including MHC course materials, office & school supplies, printer cartridges, great gift ideas and so much more! Show your support for the Rattlers or just look & feel great in MHC vests, jackets, sweats, t-shirts, backpacks and more. The Bookstore also stocks gift items sporting the college logo.
Discover an incredible selection of art and drafting supplies including paints and brushes for acrylics, watercolours, and oils, art papers and sketchbooks, easels and portfolios, and canvas
Think of the Bookstore as your one-stop, on-campus supplies & convenience store. Everyone is welcome, so drop by to browse or shop in the store. Be sure to ask our friendly and helpful staff if there is anything you can’t find - we’ll even take special orders!
FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT:
After tuition, textbooks are one of the big expenses of going to school.
By selling used textbooks, we are able to help students recuperate some of their costs once they are finished with a book, and provide new students with lower cost options.
There are three textbook buy-back scenarios at Medicine Hat College: MHC Buyback, Wholesaler Buyback and Guaranteed Buyback. While all three programs buy your old textbooks for cash, there a few subtle differences noted below.
How does the BuyBack work?
You come in, sell your book, get cash.
When and where is the BuyBack?
BuyBack occurs twice per year in the Bookstore. Once during December exams and then again during April exams. We will post reminders throughout the cafeteria, via social media and on MHC digital displays.
What can you sell?
Here is the difference. During December exam period, MHC will buy back your books from the prior WINTER semester, for approximately 50% of what you paid initially, but only if the instructor is using the same book in the upcoming winter, (limited quantities apply). Same principal applies during April exam period, except we buy back books from the prior SPRING and FALL semesters.
If the instructor is not readopting the exact same book as the prior year, we can look to see if an outside third party would like to buy it instead. If they do, we can buy the book from you on their behalf although it will be for substantially less cash. If when you purchased the book, there was a GUARANTEED BUYBACK card, with a guaranteed amount, we will give you that amount no questions asked. You do not need your receipt or any proof of purchase. We track everything and promise to make it as simple as possible.
* Some course materials such as course packs, lab manuals and workbooks are not eligible for buyback.
* All components included at the time of purchase must be returned to be eligible for BuyBack.
* Reasonable highlighting and notes are acceptable. We do not buy back books with any amount of water damage.
Where do I find the course list for materials I’ll need for my classes?
Instructors will provide your course list to you during Orientation or your first class.
Can I buy my textbooks online?
The Bookstore does not have an online purchase options for textbooks. An e-shopping system is currently being developed.
Why do some classes have e-textbooks and others don't?
Textbook type is dependent on each instructors requests. If you are looking for a electronic version of a physical textbook required for your class, ask our front-end staff about it... we may be able to help you order it.
Where do I look for used books?
Used books are located on the shelves along with new books for a course. The number of used books in stock depends on the number the Bookstore was able to purchase through buybacks and from wholesale companies. The prices for used texts are listed on the price labels. You can expect to pay about 25% less than new price for a used text. Used texts are subject to the same refund policy as new texts.
NEW! Online Course Adoptions (OCA)
You can now enter course adoptions online to send your course materials requisitions to The Bookstore – no more paper copies! OCA replaces the old, paper-based system and includes an approval workflow built in for program coordinators (who are set up as approvers) to approve your course adoptions – no more signatures required.
All course packs submitted to the Bookstore to be copied and sold must first be submitted to MHC’s Copyright Officer who will review the material for copyright compliance before the material can be printed. MHC bases copying of protected works on the Association of Canadian Community Colleges suggested Fair Dealing guideline. Please click here to see MHC’s Copyright Policy.
Course packs are the materials created in house for printing and selling as part of your course material and can include your own material as well as 3rd party material. The following guidelines shall apply to all course packs:
- Standard cover page (all course packs will have the same format for the cover page to provide a much more professional image for MHC materials)
- Controlled versioning (all course packs will follow a common version control methodology - please contact The Bookstore or your divisional administration support staff to find out how to version your documents) to reduce waste and ensure we are always printing the correct version
- Course packs must be adopted on OCA (as this provides authorization to print and allows this to be entered into our course planning software)
- A Request for Printing form must accompany your course pack when you submit this to be duplicated
Client Cardholder Agreement
Your use or purchase of a Medicine Hat College branded Client Card indicates your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Except as otherwise provided by law, these Terms and Conditions apply to all Medicine Hat College Client Cards whether purchased in person, online, or received from third parties.
- Medicine Hat College Client Cards can be used at Medicine Hat College locations where the Cards are accepted.
- Maintenance, dormancy or service fees do not apply to balances on Client Cards. Client Cards have no expiration dates.
- It is your responsibility as a Cardholder to keep your Client Card secure and in a safe place. Medicine Hat College is not responsible if a Client Cards is lost, stolen or damaged.
- Client Cards are not redeemable for cash, except to the extent required by law. Client Cards may be reloaded with additional funds. Each reload may be in increments of $5 and the initial load and all reloads may not exceed $1,000 in the aggregate.
- Client Cards may be used to purchase goods and services at Medicine Hat College locations where the Cards are accepted.
- Medicine Hat College reserves the right to prohibit the purchase of Client Cards with other Client Cards.
- Purchase amounts that exceed the value of the tendered Client Card will require an additional payment for the balance due.
- Client Cards purchased online are delivered separately from other purchases.
- Medicine Hat College reserves the right to hold any order for a security review. If your order is affected, you will be notified via email within two business days.
- To obtain your Client Card balance, bring your Client Card to any Medicine Hat College location where the Cards are accepted.
- Client Cards will not be redeemed if the Card number is invalid or cannot be identified within Medicine Hat College systems.
- Medicine Hat College reserves the right to restrict the redemption of more than $1,000 in Client Card balances by one person in any 30-day period.
- Medicine Hat College is the issuer of all Client Cards that are sold or issued, and the purchase and sale of Client Cards issued by Medicine Hat College shall be deemed to be in Alberta and shall be subject to the laws and regulations of Alberta.
- Medicine Hat College reserves the right to change the terms of the Medicine Hat College Client Card program at any time or to contract with another party to administer this program.
- In the event that the Client Card system may become temporarily inoperative, you may be unable to obtain information about the balance on your Client Card and Client Card transactions, or use your Client Card to pay for purchases. Please notify Medicine Hat College if you have any problems using your Client Card. You agree that Medicine Hat College is not responsible for any interruption of service or the quality, safety, legality, or any other aspect of any goods or services purchased by you with your Client Card.
- Medicine Hat College may assign this agreement at any time without notice.
- Medicine Hat College has tried to ensure that the information herein is correct, however, Medicine Hat College is not responsible for any errors or omissions. Use of a Medicine Hat College gift certificate constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions
All refunds will be in the same tender and card number as the original purchase. IMPORTANT! You must show your original cash register receipt and meet the conditions outlined here to be eligible for a refund.
Most general merchandise purchased in the Medicine Hat College Bookstore may be exchanged or returned for a full refund within seven (7) calendar days of purchase, provided that the product is accompanied by the original cash register receipt, is in complete, unused and unmarked condition and is in the original (unopened) packaging.
Textbooks and Related Materials
The final return date for textbooks and related materials can be found on the cash register receipt issued at the time of the purchase; this date is term dependent. Textbooks must be in “like new” condition as determined by Bookstore staff. Sealed text packages must be returned unopened. All components (e.g., Compact Discs, DVDs, etc.) must be returned unopened. No refunds can be given if a seal is broken.
There are no refunds or exchanges on final sale items, special order items, sundry items, confectionery, customized orders and products, gift certificates, access codes, or opened merchandise containing computer software, DVDs, Compact Discs, or other prerecorded media. This includes text and other books from which the shrink wrap has been removed. Defective media (Compact Discs, DVDs, and Software) will be exchanged for the same title only within seven (7) calendar days of purchase with the original cash register receipt.
STAY CONNECTED WITH
Follow us on Instagram.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Winter 2020 Extended Hours:
The Bookstore will be open from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. on Jan. 6 - 8, 2020.