Student at Risk Support Team
Do you know a student who is struggling?Medicine Hat College offers a variety of services to support students throughout their college experience.
If you know a student that is experiencing personal difficulties, mental health issues, or is struggling academically, we encourage you to notify the Student at Risk Support (SARS) team. This team of professionals responds to concerns around mental and physical well-being, security and academic issues, and can help students find the appropriate supports on campus.
This is not an emergency service. In case of emergency, please call 911.
When to contact SARSContact SARS if you feel the student is in need of additional intervention and support outside of what you are able to provide. SARS has the connections to get the right help for the situation.
Do not worry that you are over-reacting. SARS will assess risks and act to help the student as needed. And early intervention is often the key to reducing the risk of potential crisis.
Who can refer a student to the SARS team?
Anyone can make a referral. Students, faculty, staff, family and friends are all welcome to contact the SARS team if they have concerns about a Medicine Hat College student.
Signs that a student may need support
- Talking or writing about suicide or harm to others
- Escalating intense, erratic or very inappropriate emotional responses
- Saying good-bye. Giving important or expensive personal things away, such as a mobile device or computer
- Talking about isolating from friends and others – absence from classes, group work or social/sports groups
- Talking about deepening personal depression, escalating anxiety and panic, feelings of drowning or loss of control
- Talking about rapid weight loss - not eating at all or eating followed by vomiting
- Cutting or evidence of other self-harm
- Loss of contact with reality including delusions
- Talking about or doing physical or verbal abuse of others
- Speaking about plans to seek revenge or harm to others, or naming specific people who have wronged him or her
How to refer a student to SARS
Please click the button below to refer a student:
REFER A STUDENT
For more information, please contact:
- Marie Wanty
Manager, mental health & counselling