Wi-Fi Access While On Campus
Wireless Internet access is available throughout the Medicine Hat and Brooks locations. The wireless network permits access to the Internet and technical resources for students, staff and visitors.
How do I connect to the Wireless?
The SSID (name) for the wireless is MHC-WiFi.
After connecting your web browser should open and prompt for your credentials, which will be one of the following:
- Active Student Login / Email
- Current Employee Login / Email
- Public Access Login (From the Vera Bracken Library or Call Centre)
Wireless is available to all current student and employees of the college.
Community members and visitors to the Medicine Hat College can visit the Vera Bracken Library to receive credentials to access the wireless at no cost.
Note: Members of the public may require some form of Government ID to receive credentials
You should only rarely be required to login after the first time doing so, as long as:
- Your credentials are correct
- The account you are using remains active
- You do not connect to the wireless for several weeks
Note: Other factors may require you to re-login, such as power outages or IT maintenance.
Although wireless should be available across the vast majority of the college's locations, strength of the wireless signal is heavily dependent on a variety of factors, such as:
- Age and standards of your personal equipment - older equipment might not run as fast or be as compatible
- Objects potentially reducing signal strength (walls, book shelves, etc)
- Interference from other wireless devices at similar frequencies, such as 2.4Ghz wireless keyboards
The best ways to protect yourself on this (or any other wireless network) are to:
- Employ a personal firewall (both Mac and Windows have built-in firewalls)
- Turn file sharing off
- Have up-to-date antivirus software, such as Microsoft Security Essentials
- Perform updates on a regular basis through Windows Update
- Keep your software up-to-date (Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Office, etc)
- COMPUTER USAGE POLICY. As with any other computer service in Medicine Hat College, use of the wireless network is governed by the Information Technology Acceptable Use Policy (see side bar). We strongly recommend that patrons read this document to ensure that they are in compliance with this policy.
- COLLEGE FIREWALL. The college employs a network firewall that protects the network from malicious attacks by users off campus. As a result of the firewall, you might not be able to access some websites that you need to consult for educational purposes; if this is the case, see the library Information Desk or Call Centre.
- PRINTING. You will not be able to perform printing functions on the wireless network. Printers are only available via hard line computer terminals such as the library's Drop-In Computer Stations.
- NETWORK FOLDERS. Some programs have access to class folders that are shared on the college's network. Shared class folders will not be accessible via the wireless network.
Campus wireless supports the following standards:
- 802.11ac (currently only in select location)
Information Technology Services
To report technology problems or for assistance, contact us:
In-Person: Vera Bracken Library
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.