Medicine Hat College operates under the authority of Advanced Education and is a board-governed public post-secondary institution operating in Alberta as a comprehensive community college under the authority of the Post-secondary Learning Act (PSLA).
Medicine Hat College is a learner-centered institution serving a diverse range of students in various areas of study including: liberal arts; business and commerce; health and human services; visual and performing arts; science and technology; and apprenticeship and pre-employment trades.
Medicine Hat College focuses on five primary types of programming:
- Certificate, diploma, post-diploma certificate, applied degree and bachelor’s degree programs that prepare learners for entry to careers and employment.
- Pre-employment and journeyman certificate programming that prepares learners for trades employment and careers.
- Collaborative undergraduate degrees delivered in partnership with other institutions.
- University studies that allow learners to start an academic pathway in the region and complete elsewhere in Alberta.
- Foundational learning programs and academic upgrading that prepare learners for success in life and further post-secondary studies.
We meet learners where they’re at. We remove barriers for the diverse population we serve including Indigenous people, rural students, first generation learners, and newcomers to Canada. Through flexible programming, clear pathways, and alternative delivery methods, learners get what they need, when they need it, in ways that work for them. Our partnerships enhance our ability to achieve this.We combine academic theory and practical application to give learners a leg up in the labour market. With an emphasis on wellness, inclusion, and transferable skills, we prepare learners for success in college, in the workforce, and in life.
With campuses in Brooks and Medicine Hat – and a vision to expand access in communities across southeastern Alberta – we offer credit and non-credit instruction giving learners the choice of face-to-face or distance learning to meet individual needs and enable access. As a comprehensive community college, we embrace regional stewardship and work with community-based adult learning partners such as schools, governments, businesses, and other community stakeholders to enhance access to PSE and respond to learning needs identified in the community. Through Continuing Studies, the college also responds to workforce development and cultural awareness needs including non-credit offerings, contract and in-service training, and customized employability programs.
Approved by Advanced Education