Walking path outside of library.


Academic Upgrading at Brooks Campus

Sunrise Collegiate provides an innovative approach to distance education, using a combination of print modules and online learning approaches, as well as in-person tutorials and support at MHC's Brooks Campus, to deliver personalized academic support for upgrading students. Students registered in the upgrading program also have access to many of the services and supports offered to all Medicine Hat College students.

Upgrade your courses to meet college or university admission requirements or complete your high school diploma through Sunrise Collegiate, a collaborative effort between Grasslands Schools and Medicine Hat College Brooks Campus.

Step by Step Guide

Contact an MHC academic advisor at Brooks Campus. They are here to help answer any questions you have and support you through the application process.

After connecting with an advisor, fill out the Sunrise Collegiate application form. If you need assistance, check back with your advisor and they would be happy to assist!

Available Courses

  • English Language Arts:  ENLA 0009, 0010-1, 0010-2, 0020-1, 0020-2, 0030-1, 0030-2
  • Social Studies:  SOST 0030-1, 0030-2
  • Biology 0020, 0030
  • Chemistry 0020, 0030
  • Math 0009, 0010C, 0020-1, 0020-2, 0030-1, 0030-2
  • Physics 0020, 0030
  • Science 0010

Additional Information 

How do I apply to the program and register? Who can help me register?

Before applying to the program and registering for courses, you should first meet with the Brooks Campus academic advisor. Book an appointment by:

  • calling 403.362.1677,
  • visiting in-person at the front desk at Brooks Campus, or
  • using the online booking system.

The academic advisor will help you apply and register for the program and discuss your options.


If the academic advisor is unavailable, please contact:

Corry Mortensen
Coordinator of Adult Academic Upgrading, Sunrise Collegiate

Tel: 403 362.1487
Email: corry.mortensen@grasslands.ab.ca


Are the courses offered in-person, online, or as paper-based modules?

Upgrading courses are currently offered in a variety of formats depending on the course taken. Some courses are online and some use paper-based modules. At this time, there are no in-person courses offered. Your advisor and Sunrise Collegiate staff will go over the delivery method for the courses you have registered in.


When do the courses start and how long do I get to complete them?


Courses begin at the start of traditional MHC semesters – Fall Semester, beginning of September; Winter Semester, beginning of January; Spring Semester, beginning of May. Students registered in the Fall and Winters Semesters have four months to complete and those registered in the Spring Semester have two months to complete.


Can I go as fast as I want through the courses or is there a set timeline?


There is some flexibility in the completion timeline with each course having a suggested completion schedule for assignments and exams within the four or two month timeline. Your instructor will make you aware of the completion deadlines, and you should be working on materials and handing them in regularly in order to progress in the course and complete on time before the end date. There are definite start and end dates in place for the courses.  


Do I have to buy books?


Depending on the course, there is a small fee for course material rental or to cover costs of paper based modules, but there are no textbooks that need to be purchased.


Is there financial assistance available to me?


Yes. For students taking upgrading courses, there is funding available from the Alberta Government’s Foundational Learning Assistance Program. Your academic advisor can provide information on this program.  


Are there instructors available to help me with the course?


Yes. Your instructors are available to help you with the courses and answer your questions. You can access help from your instructor in-person, through email, or on the phone.  


Do these courses count toward my high school diploma or appear on my Alberta high school transcripts?


Yes. Upgrading courses taken through this program can help you to achieve a high school diploma and can be added to your Alberta high school transcripts if certain requirements are met and after consultation with the principal of Sunrise Collegiate.  


What is the difference between a GED and a high school diploma?


A GED can be accepted in place of a high school diploma by many employers that require employees to have completed high school. Employers may accept a GED certificate as a high school equivalency, but others will still require an actual high school diploma because the GED is not the same as a high school diploma. As well, the GED is not accepted as an equivalent for entrance into post-secondary academic programs at Medicine Hat College or other institutions. In order to meet entrance requirements for a program, proof of having successfully completed courses required for entrance will be needed.  


Do I need a high school diploma to get into a program at MHC or another institution?


Medicine Hat College and many other institutions do not require a high school diploma in order to meet entrance requirements. Often, you only need to upgrade the specific courses required in order to be accepted into an academic program at MHC or other institutions.   

Sunrise Collegiate students have access to the same services and supports as all Medicine Hat College students! These include:

You may also be interested in

An instructor assisting a student with their work in a computer lab

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada

The LINC program helps permanent residents of Canada develop language skills through educational activities designed to build confidence in reading, writing, listening, and speaking English.
Go to Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada
Student reading a book on a patterned couch with an orange wall behind

Pathways Adult Learning Foundations

MHC Pathways programs offer one-on-one tutoring, instructor-led and/or online classes to learners in ESL, adult literacy, numeracy, digital skills, and skills for learning in each of the communities we serve.
Go to Pathways Adult Learning Foundations