COVID-19 information for MHC
Update: Apr. 7, 2021
The Province of Alberta declared a state of public health emergency on Nov. 22 to protect the health care system and reduce the spread of COVID-19. We have now returned to Step 1 of the government's plan to ease restrictions.
As a result, the following changes are now in effect in addition to the other operating procedures and expectations outlined below:
- Vera Bracken Library and Brooks Campus Library are now closed until further notice. Service is still available to students and employees virtually. More information about borrowing items and booking appointments is online at https://www.mhc.ab.ca/Library/Using-the-Library.
- The Fitness Centre at the Medicine Hat campus is now closed. Fitness facilities at Brooks Campus remain closed.
Do not come on campus if you are feeling unwell. If you aren't sure what steps to take, please review MHC's decision trees to help guide your actions.
- Campus access is limited to currents students, employees, contractors, and guests with a specific purpose.Work from home is mandatory for employees is possible.
- To help identify individuals who do not have approved college ID, an Access Pass will be provided for those entering the main building of the Medicine Hat campus. The Access Pass does not apply to other buildings at the Medicine Hat campus (e.g. Cultural Centre) or to the Brooks Campus.
- Medicine Hat campus hours are 7 a.m. – 11 p.m. Monday – Saturday and 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. on Sunday.
- Brooks campus hours are 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Friday. The campus is closed on Saturday and Sunday.
- Masks are required at all times in common areas and classrooms.
Learning & Working
- Classes, learning experiences, and in-person exams may continue as long as they follow guidance.
- Please note that the classroom is considered a workplace and therefore masking is required. The instructor can unmask while teaching, but must mask before and after. Students must wear masks at all times in indoor areas of post-secondary institutions.
- Group studying is not allowed except in situations where two or more students must be physically present for the purpose of practice or a practical activity.
- Students should opt for virtual study groups instead.
- If two or more students must be physically present to practice a specific activity, the students should stay 2 metres apart from each other at all times and be masked.
- Students who must come within 2 metres of each other for practice, rehearsal, or study must wear a mask, even if they are outdoors.
- Performance practices and rehearsals can occur, however performances, concerts, and inter-school performance activities are not allowed.
- Tutoring can continue in-person, although wherever possible we encourage people to move their tutoring sessions online to minimize the risk of disease transmission.
- Remote work is encouraged whenever possible.
Your active participation in COVID-19 prevention - both on and off campus - is important. Please take time to review information about college protocols and resources on this page and check back often as information is subject to change without notice.
Make safe decisions
Decision trees have been developed for employees, supervisors, instructors and students at MHC. Have questions about how to proceed when experiencing COVID-related symptoms, or how to respond when notified by someone who is feeling ill? Check out the resources below for more information.
Bring ID / sign in to access campusMedicine Hat
- Students are asked to enter through the main doors.
- Employees who have a swipe card (proxy card/fob) may enter/exit though any electronic access door, there is no requirement to scan in/out at security. All other employees must scan in at the main entrance, but can leave from any exit.Reminder! Working from home is now mandatory. This applies to all individuals unless they are required on campus for operational needs only. Please talk to your supervisor to confirm the need to be on campus.
- Those who do not have a college ID will be asked to leave their name and office number with security personnel and will be required to wear an access pass while on campus.
- Employees and students can enter through the main doors. Guests of PD's can access the restaurant through the northeast door by the tennis courts.
Practice good hygiene
- Stay home and away from others if you are feeling ill
- Washing your hands
- Avoid contact with your face
- Cough into your elbow or shoulder
- Sanitize high touch areas of your workspace, vehicle and home
- Contact your primary health provider or 811 Health Link if you have questions or concerns about your health
Coming on campus?Please complete our COVID-19 orientation for information regarding safety and prevention measures. Please click the button below to begin the orientation.
Provincial Quick Links
- Alberta Health Services Updates
- COVID-19 info for Albertans
- Cases in Alberta
- Targeted Public Health Measures
- Province of Alberta (Help in Tough Times)