Congratulations! You’ve made the decision to pursue education to help build your bright future. Admission to any program found in the Academic Calendar follows the academic and institutional policies of Medicine Hat College. Additional programs and educational pathways are available through Medicine Hat College’s Extended Learning Department.
Learn more about the application process below and get ready to attend MHC!
Which student group describes you?
High School Applicants
You recently completed high school and have little or no post-secondary experience.
Prior to applying, please review specific program information to determine which high school subjects are required for admission to that program. For official program information, please consult the MHC calendar.
- If you are from outside of Alberta, click here to see the provincial high school equivalencies for various subjects.
- If you do not have the high school requirements needed for your initial choice of program you may qualify for other programs at the college or need to upgrade. Please contact Advising and/or Admissions for additional information.
Mature students are 21 years or older who may not have completed high school.
In some programs, mature student admission requirements may differ from general admission requirements so we encourage students to meet with an advisor prior to applying.
For official information, please consult the MHC calendar.
Transfer students have post-secondary coursework or credentials through recognized university, college or technical institutions.
If you have previous coursework, you should consult the program(s) of interest to determine if transfer status is considered for admission.
For information on gaining credit towards program requirements, consult the section on Recognition of Prior Learning/Education in the calendar.
Hundreds of students from around the world attend MHC each year where they enjoy the advantages of a safe community environment, small classes and individual attention and support.
When should you apply?
That depends on when you want to start. Application processing starts:
- October 3 for the following fall semester
- June 1 for the following winter semester
- August 1 for the following spring semester
Please note, it is advantageous to apply early as some programs are oversubscribed.
A winter intake is offered for the following programs:
- Academic Upgrading (Coulee Collegiate (MH Campus) / Sunrise Collegiate (Brooks Campus))
- Bachelor of Applied Health Science - Post-Advanced Care Paramedic Entry (DL)
- Built Environment Engineering Technology
- Business Administration
- Health Care Aide
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Occupational Therapist Assistant / Physical Therapist Assistant (Distance Learning)
- Open Studies Practical Nurse (Medicine Hat campus)
- Speech Language Therapist Assistant (Distance Learning)
- University Studies (Arts / Commerce / Science / Kinesiology / Social Work)
How do you apply?
- Apply and submit application fee
Apply online with Apply Alberta and submit your application along with a $75 non-refundable application fee. Your application will not be processed until the application fee is received.
- Provide official transcripts
MHC requires official transcripts documenting your high school and post-secondary education to make final admissions decisions. An official transcript is sent directly from the provincial Department of Education and/or from other institutions to the Admissions Office. Apply Alberta will allow participating Alberta post-secondary institutions to send and request Alberta high school and Alberta post-secondary transcripts when authorized by a student. Please check with the Medicine Hat College Admissions Office if you have questions about the transcripts required to support your application.
- Receive letter of acceptance
YAY! Watch the mail for your letter of acceptance. Please note, acknowledgment letters are only sent to successful applicants.
- Pay deposit
Confirm your seat! A $250 registration deposit to hold your place in the program.
Register for classes online using the mymhc.ab.ca (student information system) or in person at the Registration Office.