Mental Health & Counselling
For the 2020-2021 academic year, the counselling department is offering remote counselling sessions (telephone/video) as well as limited services in-person on campus.SCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS
Students who have not seen an MHC counsellor before can schedule an initial screening appointment by contacting Allison Helm or calling the advising desk at 403.529.3819.
Students who have seen an MHC counsellor before can book an appointment by calling the advising desk at 403.529.3819 or contacting their counsellor directly: Marie Wanty, Landyce Stevenson, or Kelly Mills.DROP-IN APPOINTMENTS
Drop-in counselling sessions are still available on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1:00 – 3:30 p.m. but are now virtual. Drop-ins must be booked online in the 24 hour period before they begin.
The counselling department also offers psycho-educational group programming on a regular basis. Students can read about and register for groups on the online booking system.
Need Support Now?
If you are in distress outside of college hours please call the distress line at 1.800.784.2433. If it is an emergency, please call 911.
Do you know someone in distress? Not sure how to help?If you know someone who is struggling, please review the following resources to help you identify behaviours of concern and ways to offer support. You can also contact the Student At Risk Support team.
Be There is a free, online educational resource created by Canadian youth mental charity, Jack.org. If a friend finds the courage to reach out to you about their mental health struggles, Be There’s 5 Golden Rules provides a framework for how to support them.
Looking for additional mental health supports during the COVID-19 pandemic? Check out the online resources below:
Now available on Blackboard!
The mental health and counselling department has shared a resource module on Blackboard that includes information about COVID-19, self-help ideas, coping strategies, and a discussion board.
MHC students can access the modules by:
- Logging into Blackboard with their mymhc.ca account
- Clicking on Student Supports located in the Organization Catalogue in the lower left corner of the My Institution page
- Selecting ‘AHealthyPlace_ORG’. From the drop-down arrow, choose enroll and click the submit button on the confirmation page. Once your enrolment is confirmed by a member of the counselling department, you will have access to this resource.
- Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19
- Dealing with COVID anxiety
- Living with worry anxiety amidst global uncertainty
- Managing stress and anxiety
Relaxation & Meditation
Counselling Services are located with Academic Advising on the main floor of the Centre Core building.
To book or cancel an appointment, please call 403.529.3819.
To contact the Student Support Specialist in Brooks, call 403.362.1697.