The Advanced Accounting certificate builds on previous knowledge of accounting theory and application and provides a bridge for students pursuing business degree completion or Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) designation.
Accounting Pathways at MHC
As a student at MHC, you'll benefit from small class sizes and personalized instruction in Advanced Accounting courses, as well as work-integrated learning and development of critical thinking skills. Flexible delivery means students also have the option of learning online to help them balance school and life.
The Advanced Accounting certificate program consists of eight academic courses and one work placement, with courses are taught by a combination of full-time faculty and community experts.
With high demand and strong support from employers across Southeast Alberta, this program offers new opportunities for diploma graduates interested in pursuing a degree and professional designation.
Graduation from a Business Administration diploma in Accounting or degree program (or equivalent) at an accredited post-secondary institution with a GPA of 2.0 and completion of the following courses (or their equivalents):
- ACCT 213
- ACCT 215
- MGMT 284 & 285
- FINA 255
Students are now required to have a C (60% or higher) grade in the courses required for admission.
Students who have Completed the Business Administration Accounting Major should have the required prerequisites for this certificate. Completion of the certificate and a business degree with Athabasca will satisfy CPA’s entrance requirements to the Professional Education Program (PEP), the final stage of the designation academic work.
- ACCT 328 - Management Accounting II
- ACCT 428 - Introduction to Personal & Corporate Income Tax
- ACCT 431 - Advanced Financial Accounting
- MGMT 326 - Management Information Systems
- MGMT 440 - Operations Management
- ACCT 422 - Principles of Auditing
- ACCT 432 - Advanced Managerial Accounting
- MGMT 433 - Strategic Management
- ACCT 390 - Work Placement
- MGMT 336 - Data Analysis and Information Systems
Graduates with an Advanced Accounting Certificate are prepared to find work as an
- Accounting Technician
- Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable Clerk
- CGA or CMA Trainee