News and Events
Rattlers help Make Some Noise for mental health
January 15, 2016
Some Noise for Mental Health is an award-winning campaign which promotes mental health awareness on post-secondary campuses.
The Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference (ACAC) has partnered with Canadian Mental Health Association Alberta Division (CMHA AB) to implement a conference-wide awareness campaign. By involving student-athletes, Make Some Noise for Mental Health is intended to encourage empathy, understanding and open mindedness while promoting resources and support available on campuses and in their communities.
The campaign was created and implemented by the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) Trojans at SAIT Polytechnic in January 2015. The Trojan Outreach Program won a national 2015 community service award for their efforts.
“I got involved because I wanted to raise awareness and help people out in a positive way,” says Jocelyn Wynnyk, SAIT Trojans women’s hockey player who participated in the inaugural event. Starting January 15 until February 13, 2016 Make Some Noise for Mental Health will expand to 17 ACAC member institutions in 11 communities.
“ACAC member institutions collectively embraced this opportunity to expand upon the very successful pilot campaign conducted by SAIT last year,” says Mark Kosak, CEO, Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference.
“This is an important health issue that directly impacts the very community we serve on our campuses. Student-athletes are viewed as role models and leaders and it was deemed that their participation could have a greater influence on creating awareness and reducing the stigma of mental health issues.”
The campaign will be promoted through student-led, on-campus activities and highlighted at the ACAC members’ regular season home games for various sports including volleyball, basketball and hockey.
“Make some Noise for Mental Health links student-athletes to a cause that resonates with all Albertans,” says David Grauwiler, Executive Director, Canadian Mental Health Association Alberta Division.
“Across the province thousands of students face the challenges of maintaining mental health as they face the day to day pressures of academic life. CMHA is excited to partner with ACAC to build public awareness of the unique mental health challenges faced by students.”
The 17 ACAC members will collaborate with the nine CMHA regional offices and one provincial CMHA office to connect those experiencing mental illness and those who are impacted by mental illness with the support they need.
“Our wellbeing is more than a matter of physical health, mental health is something we all need and deserve.”
Make Some Noise for Mental Health ACAC SCHEDULE 2016
- Augustana Vikings, University of Alberta Augustana (Camrose): Jan 11-22
- Lethbridge College Kodiaks, Lethbridge College (Lethbridge): Jan. 15-16
- Keyano Huskies, Keyano College (Fort McMurray): Jan. 15-16; Jan. 22-23; Jan.29-30
- King’s Eagles, The King’s University (Edmonton): Jan 15-16
- Concordia Thunder, Concordia University of Edmonton: Jan. 15-16
- MacEwan Griffins, MacEwan University (Edmonton): Jan. 16
- Olds Broncos, Olds College (Olds): Jan 21-23
- Medicine Hat College Rattlers, Medicine Hat College (Medicine Hat): Jan. 22-23
- Portage College Voyageurs, Portage College (Lac La Biche): Jan 25-30
- Red Deer Kings/Queens, Red Deer College (Red Deer): Jan 22-Jan 30
- SAIT Trojans, SAIT Polytechnic (Calgary): Jan. 26-30
- NAIT Ooks, NAIT (Edmonton): Jan. 29-Feb 14
- Lakeland Rustlers, Lakeland College (Vermilion): Jan 29-30
- GPRC Wolves, GPRC (Grande Prairie): Feb. 5-6
- Briercrest Clippers, Briercrest College (Caronport, Saskatchewan): Feb 5-6
- Ambrose Lions, Ambrose University (Calgary): Feb 5-6
- St. Mary’s Lightning, St. Mary’s University (Calgary): Feb 8-12
- MEDIA KIT PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
- Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference: www.acac.ab.ca
- CMHA Alberta: www.mymentalhealth.ca
- Make Some Noise for Mental Health Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MakeSomeNoiseforMentalHealth?ref=hl