News and Events
Annual Regional Skills Competition and Trades & Technology Expo hosted at MHC
April 9, 2019
Youth Careers in conjunction with the Medicine Hat College invite you to attend the 14th Annual South East Alberta Regional Skills Competition and Trades and Technology Expo.
This event will be held at the Medicine Hat College Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Here is what you need to know:
What is the SEASkills Competition?
- The South East Alberta Regional Skills Competition showcases students’ Trades and Technology skills outside of the classroom and exposes students to real life opportunities.
- Over 100 senior high students from various South East Alberta schools competing in Auto Service, Baking, Cabinet Making, Carpentry, Culinary Arts, Hairstyling, Video Production and Welding.
- The majority of the competitions will take place at the Medicine Hat College, with Baking being held at Medicine Hat High School (MHHS) and Culinary Arts being held at Crescent Heights High School.
- Awards ceremony will take place at 4:30pm in the college theatre
- The top two student competitors from each category will advance on to the Provincial Skills Canada Alberta Competition in Edmonton on May 8 & 9th
- Funding partner - Skills Canada Alberta
- Collaborative effort of many stakeholders:
- Skills Canada Alberta provides numerous resources, support and funding.
- MHC, CHHS and MHHS provide space, resources and supplies for the competitions, and also have
- MHC Staff members actively involved in developing competition scopes and preparing for the competition.
- Teachers of competitors volunteer after school to help students prepare for the competition
- Many trades’ related organizations have supplied materials, donated prizes or volunteered their time on advisory committees or to judge the competitions
What is the Trades and Technology Expo?
- Currently over 950 junior and senior high school students are registered to attend the Expo
- Numerous interactive displays and information booths.
- Local industry, organizations and community partners that provide hands-on interactive experiences to showcase their trade and technology related careers.
- Try your hand at welding, heavy equipment simulator, hairdressing, construction virtual reality simulators, electrical wiring, culinary arts demo and many more activities
- Medicine Hat College Trades program is a proud partner of this event
How can you attend?
- Come cheer on the competitors or take part in some fun interactive experiences.
- Open to the public from 9 AM to 2 PM on Tuesday April 30th in the Medicine Hat College Library and Trades Wings.
- Absolutely FREE!! What better way to generate career awareness in the trades, sciences and technology related fields and provide them with an opportunity to learn about the diverse programs our local Medicine Hat College provides.
Still have questions?
Visit the SEAPYD website at www.youthcareer.ca or follow us on Twitter@SEAPYCD.
Project Manager, South East Alberta Regional Skills Competition and Trades & Technology Expo Executive Director, South Eastern Alberta Partners for Youth Career Development
Project Manager, South East Alberta Regional Skills Competition and Trades & Technology Expo
Field Director, South East Alberta Regional Skills Competition and Trades & Technology Expo