News and Events
Virtual Rattler Run connects communities
April 27, 2020
The 41st Annual Rattler Run is one for the history books. This iconic event is known for drawing hundreds of Hatters of all ages to Medicine Hat College each spring, but event coordinators had to look at new ways to keep the tradition alive within the confines of the current Covid-19 pandemic.
The decision was made to move to a free and virtual format, which saw 529 registrants from across North America. From Ralston, Alberta to Victoria, BC, runners coloured their own race bibs at home and took to the streets in their respective communities on Apr. 25. They were also asked to share their photos and reasons for participating in the virtual event on social media.
Tara Chisholm, race coordinator, says she wasn’t sure what to expect when they moved the event to a virtual platform, but soon realized it was a good move.
“The first day of registration opened and we had over 100 people in the first 90 minutes! This was exciting enough, and then to see the response on the day of the race with people commenting was truly special,” adds Chisholm.
Over 300 responses were received online, citing the opportunity to stay active and show their support for MHC and for each other.
- I ran today to feel closer to my friends who always meet in the Hat to run the Rattler. We did the 3km together this morning at 10:30 a.m. So glad we could still do it… although different, we are still together.
- We chose to do run to support MHC. As well to keep us motivated maintaining our health and fitness! Thank you! It was a beautiful day for a run!
- We all social distanced our run in Ralston. Here's a photo of us all. I wanted to do this with our running group so we made sure to find a way we could! (No Social distancing was breached in creating this photo - thank goodness for Photoshop!)
- did 10km this afternoon in some intense wind! Trying to build my distance and keeping me goal orientated during this crazy time. 😝 love MHC and appreciate how they supported me in my education.
- This morning I ran the Rattler Run virtually from Nanaimo, BC. I ran the 10k because I enjoy connecting with the running community even at a distance and for the pure love of running 🏃🏻♀️ ❤️ Next year I hope to be there in person!
- I ran this years #RattlerRun2020 for my mental health and to support local events that are still trying to get people out and moving through this tough time. It couldn’t have been a more beautiful day to take some time for yourself ☀️💪
- 10 km for my 10 year wedding anniversary ❤️ fun thing to do since we couldn’t get away.
“As the day went on, you could see the whole running community coming together liking each others posts and cheering on complete strangers … similar to how they would do at the in person race. It was truly such a great display of community and people supporting people,” says Chisholm.
A special thank you to race partner TD Meloche Monnex for providing gift card prizes.
Check out the prize winners and feel good moments from the day on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MHC-Rattler-Run-157856634269128/