News and Events
Pride week celebrations go virtual
September 11, 2020
In commitment to creating an environment of equality and inclusivity on campus and in the community, Medicine Hat College (MHC) is proud to celebrate Pride Week from September 14 – 18, 2020.
Leaders of the Students’ Association (SAMHC) have planned numerous activities for staff and students to show their support of the LGBTQ2+ community throughout the week, beginning with the raising of the Pride flag at both campuses on Sept. 14.
Taylor Ohs, vice-president of community and wellness, says although an in-person event is not happening during the raising of the flag at the Medicine Hat Campus, those who are interested will have the opportunity to watch a livestream from home.
“Later that day, the SAMHC is hosting a drive-thru giveaway event where people can come to campus, see the flag and the crosswalk, and get some cool Pride swag such as rainbow lanyards, masks, and flags they can use during the week and in the future to show their support,” adds Ohs.
“It’s important for our college community to come together and celebrate Pride Week to show that we support all LGBTQ2+ individuals, that our campuses are a safe and inclusive place where everyone is welcome and able to be themselves.”
New this year, Brooks Campus will celebrate Pride Week by hanging the Pride flag and unveiling a crosswalk at that location.
“I’m incredibly proud of the efforts of our Students’ Association, both present and past and in Medicine Hat and Brooks, and their role in fostering inclusion at our college,” says Kevin Shufflebotham, president and CEO of MHC.
“As an institution, we are committed to creating open and safe spaces in which to learn and grow. Pride Week is an important part of building that awareness and acceptance.”
A schedule of events happening at both the Medicine Hat and Brooks campuses can be found below, with additional details being posted throughout the week to the SAMHC Facebook and Instagram pages.
Monday, Sept. 14
- Medicine Hat Campus Flag Raising: Livestream / 9 a.m. Drive-thru Giveaway: Main Entrance / 12 p.m.
- Brooks Campus Hanging of the Flag: 11 a.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 15
- Medicine Hat & Brooks Campus Pride Photo Contest – Post your favourite Pride photo to Facebook and/or Instagram and tag the SAMHC to be entered to win a prize!
- Brooks Campus Crosswalk Unveil: 12 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 16
- Medicine Hat Campus Office Decorating Contest – MHC staff and faculty are encouraged to decorate their workspaces to show their support for the LGBTQ2+ community. Judging will occur from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. *To participate, email email@example.com by Tuesday, September 15 at 12 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 17
- Medicine Hat Campus Tight and Bright Zumba with the Be Fit For Life Centre H131 / 4:10 – 4:50 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 18
- Medicine Hat & Brooks Campus Pride Fun and Games Trivia Virtual / 3:30 p.m.
For more information, follow the SAMHC on Facebook (@studentsassociationmhc) and Instagram (@saofmhc).